Hi Friends!! Glad you stopped by! This post is the first in a series called “Heat Transfer T Shirt” Cricut tutorials. If you’ve come from our Facebook group, welcome! (If you haven’t and want to join us, click here to join For the Love of Cricut and Crafting!) For this project, I’m going to take you step by step through the process of creating or uploading a file in CDS, cutting it out, weeding it and then applying it to a t-shirt.
You do not have to make this exactly like I did. I will show you how I made a similar file using the slice tool in Cricut Design Space. You can create whatever file you want to after, or you can download my FREE God Bless America file (or both!). You can use any colors and apply the iron on vinyl to anything… pillows, canvas art, totes, towels, tumblers, mugs, etc! That’s the amazing thing about using a Cricut, you can do so many things with it! If you’d like to check out my ultimate resource guide of Cricut Ideas click here! Ok, let’s get started!!
Materials Needed for Heat Transfer T-shirt
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links from Amazon, Cricut and/or Expression Vinyl. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
- Shirt or any fabric you’ll be putting it on! I got these $3 shirts from Walmart.
- Heat Transfer vinyl / Iron On – Expressions Vinyl has a great selection or you can find some on Amazon or a craft store. For the “God Bless America” shirt I used Cricut holographic sparkle vinyl found here and siser easyweed found here. For the “Crafter Life” shirt, I used Cricut glitter vinyl found at Cricut.com here (or Amazon here ) and Cricut Metallic iron on found on Amazon here
- Cricut Explore or Maker – You can grab a Cricut Explore on Amazon here or Cricut.com here! Always make sure to check prices on both sites since they have sales!
- Cricut Accessories – light grip mat, weeding tool
- Heat Press or Iron – This the heat press I use and love!
Cricut Tutorials Step One : Creating a File
It’s time to get familiar with Cricut Design Space if you haven’t already. There are so many great things you can do in there and it is very user friendly. They have fixed all the problems it used to have and it’s soooooooooooo much better! I have two video tutorials for you.
This first tutorial will show you how to create the “Crafter Life” file by using the slice tool and wordmark.it. Use the same method to create any other kind of “____ Life” you want… Mom Life, Football Life, Cheer Life, Swim Life, Basketball Life, Bulldog Life, etc. Find what ever images you want to slice out of the word and make it your own!!
If you’d like to use my “God Bless America” File download it by clicking here.
If you need help downloading and then uploading the file to CDS, watch this video!
You finished the Cricut tutorials step one in creating your heat transfer t shirt!! I hope you have your materials ready and your file made, because in the next step I’m showing you how to cut out iron on and weed it.
Let me know if you have any questions on this step!
When you are ready to move on to Step 2 on weeding vinyl click here!